With a BMI of 18.7, you weight is healthy, congratulations.
It reduces your risk of serious health conditions such as heart disease, stroke, blood pressure and diabetes.
The benefits of maintaining a healthy body weight are numerous, not only to the quality of life, but also the quantity of life. Some of these benefits are:
- Decreased breast cancer risk
- Being overweight can increase your odds of breast cancer by 60 percent.
- Abdominal fat is particularly dangerous.
- Improved heart health
- People with a body mass index (BMI) of more than 25 is more likely to show signs of early plaque
- Increased fertility
- 12% of infertility cases are because of weight-related issues.
- Your weight can affect your periods and ovulation, so if you're not at a healthy weight, your fertility can suffer.
- Better sleep
- Fat (and particularly belly fat) interferes with lung function. It becomes harder for the lungs to expand because fat is in the way. And since breathing issues can lead to nighttime problems like sleep apnea, it takes a toll on your shuteye.
- Decreased risk of diabetes
- For people who are overweight, even minor weight loss is associated with delaying (or preventing) diabetes.
- Cancer avoidance
- Losing weight won't prevent you from developing cancer, but it can greatly reduce the possibility of developing certain forms of cancer.
- Women who are overweight are more likely to develop uterine, gallbladder, ovary, breast, colon and cervical cancer.
- Men can also benefit by lowering the likelihood of developing prostate, colon and rectal cancer.
These are only a few of the many benefits of maintaining a healthy body weight.
Eating a healthy diet and performing light exercise, is a great way to begin to see the benefits of maintaining a healthy body weight.
Normal weight treatment
Good lifestyle habits are the key to maintain your weight healthy.
Maintain a healthy weight might seem really daunting. But it doesn’t need to be if we just try to swap over to healthier eating and physical activity habits every day.
Aim to keep within the ideal weight range.
Whether at home, work or on the run, some simple, small and easy changes for life can make all the difference:
- Think “2 fruit and 5 vegies” every day.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
- Change to healthy recipes.
- Be active for at least 30 minutes every day.
- Limit your alcohol intake.
- Have breakfast.
- Swap big serves for smaller ones.
And of course, set a maximum weight for yourself. A weight which you will not let yourself go above.
Then weigh yourself weekly or monthly. If you are nearing your maximum weight, increase your focus on portion sizes, food choices, exercise and attitude.
Staying active is great for keeping your heart healthy and can help you manage your weight.
You can take the dog for a walk, meet a friend for a bike ride, park the car and walk the rest of the way, take stars instead of a lift or join a local fitness club. 30 minutes a day is enough, and It's worth the fight.
It may be a good idea to check your waist circumference and keep it within the recommended limits.